I attempted this shirt. The blank canvas tee from Cake. I tried it with the bow hack. I also tried to make it fitted, however I totally failed. I am not used to clothes being this fitted. The back was way too tight.
I decided to add a 3 inch strip to the back in an attempt to save it.
I am not sure it is working. The shoulders are way too wide now.
I already took out 1.5 inches for swayback, must take out more.
The fabric is mystery fabric that has the drape of neoprene. I’ll try it again with a different fabric. Why oh why do I not have fabrics appropriate for the projects I want to make? I have so much fabric, yet nothing. grrr.
Basic black bow back shirt. My modified tonic tee, of course.
Boring right, but, closer to filling my closet with basic tops. I modified the back neckline because it felt like the bow was pulling in at my shoulders. It feels a touch too wide, but maybe I’ll just lower the bottom part to compensate. I’ll have to wear it a while and see what I’ll do. Plus, my result will be different with other knits.
The fabric is from the National City Swap meet. There is a lady there that sometimes sells a bag of fabric for $5! Most are 1 yard or less and often have printing errors, or holes, but for experiments, and muslins it is fantastic. It also forces me to think creatively about what I will do with it. I bought 2 bags last time and I think I’ve sewn through 75% of it!
This fabric’s fiber content feels like a beefy cotton/spandex.
I will need to make more of these, but I don’t think I need to post any more of these, they all look the same. I’ll try to make a different one next time, like a different colored bow or something.
I really liked it when I saw it in the magazine. I am in need of basic tops for skirts, so I decided to make it. I really like it. I think it will get a lot of wear. Especially if I make more jeans. I have plenty of fabric for that, but I just dislike jeans right now. Maybe I’ll try a different kind of pant.
I made a quick muslin of the shirt. It needed a petite adjustment in the shoulders. The length is a little short, but I like it. I think it’s perfect for my skirts. I do think it could use an FBA. The previous fabric was a lot more stretchy than this one. I inserted the binding with too much stretching, so there are gathers around the neckline that I’m not too fond of.
I also made the jeans. It was during my very rushed time of attempting to make 2 jeans, 3 tops and a jacket to got to San Diego. I get cold and need a jacket when it’s less than 74 really. hahaha. I guess living in Tucson will do that. I was successful with my goal, 2 jeans (from old CK jeans I had), 3 tops (plantains) and a Burda jacket princess seams in the front, no collar just a zipper. The jeans do not fit very well, and this fabric can stand up by itself. However, it’s a better fit than ANY RTW that I have had, EVER. The jacket desperately needed an FBA, but I didn’t have time to do the adjustments and make another. I unpicked the seam and sewed a teeny tiny seam allowance. I guess I forgot to use a jersey needle or ballpoint. I thought I did, but the unpicking made it have lots of holes. Oh well. I don’t really like wearing it. I did during the trip because I was cold. The shirts, just Plantain shirts, but I realized since I like my shirts shorter, the hip ease wasn’t working, as you can see here. I think they would look nice if I left the length as drafted.
I was inspired after seeing Mikhaela’s version when she posted it. I wanted to make my own, but of course I have a long list of stuff I want to make. I am currently bow obsessed so I had to make it now now now.
I did modify it by quite a bit. I think it would have been easier to modify a sloper than try to alter the pattern. The original was just way too wide in the shoulders and really low cut.
It’s still a bit low cut and a uh, unflattering. I really like the bow though. Maybe I’ll get over the unflattering bit.