So, I made jeans. I attempted the top stitching. Squint your eyes. The top stitching is atrocious. I know I can do better, I have. I just was rushed and did not use a double needle. This pair will be for watering plants and yard work. Hmm, still have underbutt wrinkles.
I think they are flattering on my backside. These are from the Calvin Klein jeans, but don’t resemble them at all. Everything has been changed.
- Giant knock knee alteration/ full inner thighs
- Front crotch curve, deeply curved and added a bit for full upper front thigh.
- Back crotch curve, deeper.
- Crazy large fish eye dart below the butt. 1 3/4 in!
- Lengthened the front and back by 2 inches.
- Changed the back yoke shape.
- Added larger pockets in the front and back.
- Tilted pelvis alteration
Phew! That seems like a lot. I think this might have to be my, “Finally acceptable” pattern. I think I could use a larger fish eye dart under the butt, but I’m afraid I might not be able to comfortably sit down. I might try with the next pair. I also have some weird crotch whiskers, but I can live with those, for now. Unfortunately these are not perfect. I would like for them to be, but these fit so much better than anything else I have ever had, yay!
I’m so excited. This opens up possibilities for making “cool jeans” from inspiration ready to wear stuff I’ve seen. Yay!!!
Woo hoo! I made jeans again. Well, I skipped the top stitching. I guess I’ll just call these pants. I traced a pair of old Calvin Klein jeans. They are now way too small for me but I kept them in the hopes of one day making a pattern from them.
Well, I modified the pattern so much I don’t think these are anywhere near the jeans I wore 15 years ago. I think I prefer a higher waist on my pants so I added an inch and a half to the rise. I also did something I thought I would never do, use stretch fabric. I absolutely hate that after an hour of walking around they stretch out so much it looks like I’m wearing a full diaper. ick!
Hopefully this fabric works out and does not do that. I got this at the National City Swap meet. I took all they had left on the bolt, all 7 yards of it. Mostly because I have not been able to perfect pants making. These are the closest I’ve come so far. I think it has a lot to do with the rise.
I’m not happy with the back. I made the waistband too big and put the button in the wrong place and the pants kept falling. I took in the waistband at the center back and had to take in the pants too. I took off about 3.5 inches! The pockets are too close together. There are still too many under butt wrinkles. I’ll keep working on the pattern. We’ll see where it goes.
The shirt is the Plantain t-shirt. The fabric is also from the National City Swap meet. I made it a bit too big and there is just too much ease around the hips. I also shortened it because I think the shorter length works better on me, it just needs to be a little more fitted. Maybe a tiny bit longer. I’ve been experimenting with the Tonic tee. I think I have found my TNT tee shirt. I don’t really wear tee shirts because they always seem to be so unflattering on me. Well, we’ll see about this tonic tee. I’ve sewn up 2 tests and one modified version. I’m so in love with the modified version. Blog post coming soon.
Update: July 11.
Oops. I didn’t put in a pants zipper in these. It was just some zipper and it broke, boo. I’m debating on fixing them. I probably should. I need something for when I water the plants and do other gardening things. It’s probably easier to replace the zipper than fiddle with adjustments and sewing a brand new pair. Although I did fiddle with adjustments and made another pair, that is sitting in a UFO pile. I need to concentrate on more dresses and maybe even some skirts.