Simplicity 8130 – Purple Iris Dress

I am in love with this pattern.  The fit is fantastic.  It adds great shape.  I want a million of these.  I did not make a muslin, but should have.  I really messed up the details.  The flaps are all messed up.  My homemade bias tape is messed up.  The application of it is also messed up.  Oh well.  I used the bodice from Simplicity 8130, the straps from New Look 6048, as well as the skirt.  I used my own pockets.  The fabric was a gift from my Mom and Dad.  I also used one of my metal zippers.  They are my precious.  Much like most of my fabric.

I’m still going to wear the dress.  I really like the fabric.  I have always been scared of yellow.  I was told I should never wear yellow because it makes me look sick.  I’m not sure this shade of yellow makes me look sick though.  I think it looks very summery.  I really like it.

I used a size 10, but used a smaller seam allowance in most areas and a much larger seam allowance around the waist and above the chest.

The dress is so comfortable and a perfect fit.

irisf

irisb

Last night, I was browsing through Pintrest looking for inspiration.  My husband is sitting next to me and well, conversation below…

Husband – That

Me – What?

Husband – Put a bow on it.

Me – What are you talking about?

Husband – The dress, put a bow on it, just like that one.

So, this morning, that is what I did.  It does cover up my mistake somewhat, and makes it look a little more intentional, and a little more girlie. So, essentially my husband fixed the dress by saying “Put a bow on it.”  I would have never guessed that would come from him.

irisbow

irisbow2

New Look 6048

The fabric… I got it on clearance at my local SAS fabrics store.  It was $1 a yard, so I purchased the entire bolt.  It’s nothing spectacular, but, it’s %100 cotton and a light color, so it’s perfect for my purpose.  The contrast fabric was a scrap piece I had from another dress.

I ended up lining the bodice in actual muslin fabric, but, forgot to pre wash it.  Oops.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  Anyway, the muslin shrank a bit, which explains some of the wrinkles on the bodice.

The fit… I’m not super thrilled with the fit.  I made modifications to the sewing of it and it ended up being a little high around the arms and is a little uncomfortable.  It is still wearable, but if I sit too long, I can feel it under my arms.

The pattern New look 6048… I love the look of it.  I have so many ideas for it, but not the fabric, boo.  It’s too bad, because I have so much fabric.  I’m a a bit of a sucker for a sweetheart neckline. It just adds more visual interest than a straight across neckline. It also came with a pocket pattern, but I used my own.  I can fit my DS, phone, wallet, charger and keys comfortably.  In other words, an entire purse in my dress.  Unfortunately, I did try to make pockets that integrated into the waist seam, but I didn’t like them.

If you look close enough, you might be able to see the DS in my right pocket.  There is a bit of a bulge that makes me look pregnant, but nope, it’s just my Nintendo DS.

I seemed to be making weird faces in all the pictures.  Oh well.  This is the best of the few we took, even though a tree is growing out of my head.

I do have a petticoat on, but you can’t even tell.  The skirt looks pretty flat.

Overall, I love the pattern.  Get ready for a million different dresses from this pattern.

nlf3

nlb3