I started making this dress. I have dreamed of having a dress with a Peter Pan collar forever. They always look so cute. The Peter Pan collar did not look right, so I removed it.
I traced out the pattern. I even made a muslin. The muslin fit fairly well. I took the shoulders up a little, making them more square. I also took 3/4 inches from the center back for swayback. That’s it. I used a straight size 6 for the bodice. I think I went up 2 sizes in the skirt. I did not line it. I used a self drafted facing because the shoulder slope was very different. The only other adjustment was lowering the neckline by a bit to make it more comfortable. The size 6 was very high and tight for me. However, I might have traced the wrong one. I didn’t bother to go back and check.
The fabric was a very cheap crepe type fabric I bought from Walmart in 2007 I think. I am almost out of it. It doesn’t press well. I also kinda melted it a little by the zipper. Thankfully, it was only on the inside. Phew.
Anyway, I really love this bodice. I see myself making more dresses from Gertie’s Ultimate dress book. The horizontal balance line for me is absolutely perfect.
Sheath dresses are my biggest fear. In order to wear this in real life, I’m going to need to find some comfy shapewear. Even then, eek. So this is my attempt at making myself a little uncomfortable. I’ll try something new. It’s not my favorite. I like big full skirts better.