Simplicity 2176 in Polka dots

I cannot tolerate heat and humidity.  When we went to Florida in August of 2012, I couldn’t be outside without my Simplicity 2176 dress.

20120820_142310

I no longer have it.  This is the only picture I have of it, in a grocery store parking lot, after going to the beach.  That one, I modified to have an elasticized back.  I shirred the back.  I hadn’t done a lot of fitting and didn’t want to bother with a muslin.  I needed something to fit fast.  Plus, I was still breastfeeding, so, I really didn’t want to bother.

Anyway, I really loved the look of it, so I decided to revisit it.  This time with a proper fitting.  Now I usually use the lining of the bodice to check my fit, adjust my pattern, then cut out my real fabric.

I, again, had to modify the pattern.  I use the skirt part of this pattern for pretty much every dress, so I wanted to use a different skirt pattern this time.  I used Mccall’s 5804, an old pattern that was way too big, but the skirt wasn’t.  It fit the Simplicity pattern pretty well.  It also saved me from having to draft it from scratch.  I was about to.

I purchased a clearance fabric from Hancocks.  It turned out to be a heavy quilting cotton that fades pretty quickly, oh well.  Anyway, I did add my deep roomy pockets, because a dress is unwearable without pockets, or is it just me?

The dress went together like a dream, even though I did a full bust adjustment, narrowed the above chest area a bit and lengthened the bodice.  It’s such a dream to sew when things line up.  Anyway, It’s cute and airy.  It certainly helps keep me cool.

I will make a few more of these dresses.  They are great for summer.  I’ll likely mix up the skirts a bit more and maybe try one with the other bodice options.

IMG_5560
Simplicity 2176 front
IMG_5561
Simplicity 2176 back

Looking at the back, it seems I left the right side a little lower, oops.  Oh well.

Simplicity 2176 – Stripes gone wild

I saw this inspirational pintrest picture from an etsy store.  (https://www.etsy.com/listing/161887437/24-hour-hold-vintage-1950s-dress-pink)il_570xN.498623420_r8kl

I had to make it.   I actually purchased it intending to copy Closet Case Files After Dinner Mint dress.  Have you seen it?  It’s so pretty, but I chickened out.  Instead I saved it for just the right dress.  Well, this was it.

I started out with the bodice of Simplicity 2176.  I used the width and length of the bodice bands, but not the actual pattern, since the originals were curved and I wanted straight lines at the center front.  I added stay tape also, and gathered slightly at the center front, to hopefully not have gaping.

I had a limited amount of fabric.   I think I purchased 3 yards, maybe 4, probably 4.  I did some measuring, but it was late at night and I did things wrong, oh so wrong.  Long story short, I ended up short on fabric, so I had to use tiny pieces of fabric and join them together.

Picture these joins on too many parts of the dress.  Thankfully, the skirt is so big, and there are so many distracting lines going everywhere, that you don’t notice too much… unless you sew and stare and the slightly crooked lines are like little knives that slowly cut at you.

So.. many.. things.. went wrong though.  The fabric was not printed on grain.  I started tearing and the stripes were off.  I decided to go in the direction of the stripes.  Maybe that’s why this dress is so shifty.  I forgot to add pockets.  Must have pockets, unpicked serged seams and reserged.  Serged and cut the skirt…. eek.  Went back and attempted to fix it.  At this point I was all blah, whatever, you lines here, will not match.  I refuse to let you beat me skirt.  I would have had to unpick the skirt and re gather it.  Anyway, the lines don’t match.  I guess the skirt wins. Ugh.

The bodice somehow ended up a little large.  I would love to make this again, but lower the waist a little more and add some boning, and a waist stay.  It tends to shift around a bit, especially since I left a bit too much ease.  Oh well.  I’m still pretty proud.

If you notice, the hem on the picture below, you can see I used a muslin hem facing.  I wanted to keep the length and in my late night wackiness, I forgot to add a hem allowance.  It worked out though.  It’s not a big deal.

 

IMG_5562
Simplicity 2176 Front, improvised skirt, of course.
IMG_5564
Simplicity 2176 back.
IMG_5565
That’s a whole lotta skirt.  Don’t try to find all the tiny pieces.

 

IMG_5566
With a full petticoat underneath.

 

20170605_130005
Literally, my scraps!!!!

So, I didn’t have enough for the bow.  Sure, I could have used a part of the skirt for the bow, since there is so much of it.  Sometimes, it’s nice to have a gigantic dramatic skirt.