Starry Dress

I have always wanted a dress with little stars on it.  I had seen a few dresses with stars and wished I had one.  Now I do.  I used my severely altered Elizabeth dress pattern from Burdastyle.  I also took the sleeve pattern from a Mccall’s pattern (5971).  I really love the sleeves.  I’ve been trying to perfect the fit of the pattern.  Every time I make it I notice something else that is off.  This is my latest make of same pattern different fabric.  It is my favorite dress.  The fit is pretty good and it is very comfortable.  A dress would be useless if it didn’t have pockets.  These pockets are huge, which is exactly what I wanted.

I lined the bodice and the sleeves.  I didn’t have any dark fabric, or fabric leftovers of the starry fabric, so I used white muslin, eep.  It’s ok, I think.  I does show a little on the underside of the sleeves, and, of course, my “hidden” pockets, aren’t very hidden. Oh well, whatevs.  I seriously miss Hancock’s.  That is where I would buy all of my lining from.  Boo hoo.

I always wear it with my petticoat.  I made the petticoat from cotton muslin.  Since it is cotton, it is nice and comfortable, and clings to the dress fabric.  This means, on windy days my skirt doesn’t fly up as much.  You can see it peeking in the front in the picture.  My husband took the picture at Balboa park in San Diego.  It’s so pretty there.

I want a few more starry dresses.  I see a constellation and hopefully a glow in the dark on my fabric wish list.

I do wish I had selected a different pattern.  After I made it, I had visions of something more interesting.  I’ll just have to hunt for more fabric like this.

This dress has the best fit so far.  Now I might concentrate on another Cambie wannabe, some princess seams, sun dresses or maybe I’ll keep making this pattern over and over.

I have already worn this dress for a while.  I live in these last four dresses I’ve sewn.

 

Pokemon Dress

I loved pokemon when it came out.  Or at least when we got it.  I must admit I was no longer a “kid” or even a “teen”.  I still loved it and played it a lot.  Anyway, I would see the pokemon fabric at Joann’s and always looked at it wanting to buy it and make a dress, but a little afraid of teasing.  Why oh why am I still afraid of that?  Well, I said who cares? Because I like pokemon and I like the fabric.  I decided to get it.  Unfortunately, they no longer had the red one I liked better, not even online.  I loved using charmander when I originally played and remembered being a little upset that he ended up evolving.  I was very happy that this fabric had a nice shade of blue to it and it had my little charmander.

I’m still trying to get the pattern right.  I have a little wrinkly mess going on at the shoulders that I think I have fixed.  We will see.  First I want to get this pattern down right, then I can start sewing through my stash, or maybe making patterns again.  I am getting a little tired of the high necklines.  I still used my modified Burda Elizabeth dress for this. I’m still not sure why I keep trying to use that one when the Colette patterns fit me so much better out of the envelope.  I’ll probably go back to them next year.

I was quite upset.  When I finished the dress and was pressing the skirt, I found a fairly large defect.  It took a while to make the dress.  I stabilize the neckline, line it, interface the waistband and add pockets.  Each of these steps takes a little bit more time and I was so angry that I did not check the fabric.  It’s Joann’s not SAS.  I pay a premium so that I don’t have to do that, right? Anyway, after checking the skirt, I saw additional little bits of defects on the bodice.  I only purchased two yards and both were defective.  Bummer.  I still love the dress though.  I obviously can’t return it anymore, ha ha. I do plan on adding some hand stitching to hopefully, fix it or at least have it last a little longer.

I never do any pattern matching, since I try to budget my fabric.  In my head, the print is so busy, you don’t notice, unless you’re staring at my back.

 

Another Flowery Spring Dress

This is the dress that encouraged me to continue my quest for the perfect fit on a dress.  It is very comfortable.  This is the Elizabeth dress with the sleeves from Mccall’s 5971.  I think I made this in 2016. The fit is a little loose around the bust and above it. I fixed that in the next two dresses.

I didn’t sew as much in 2016.  I had goals, but, I did not achieve them.

The fabric on this one I find very pretty.  I purchased it from Hancock fabrics.  I still get a little teary eyed as I pass by the empty space in my neighborhood.   I loved that place.  It was always a happy place and people were always so friendly.  I could get really inexpensive basics there.  I miss it so much.

 

Flowery Spring Dress

I made this dress around Thanksgiving of 2016.  I love the fabric.  It is 100% cotton and very wrinkle resistant.  I had some issues around the shoulders.  I’m not sure what I did with the waistband.  It’s a bit weird and it sticks out.

I drafted tulip sleeves, but I failed.  They are all sorts of wrong.  Maybe next time.

I tried a lower back and a high front.  I think I should have made the back a little lower.

I’ll have to fix the shoulders.