Simplicity 1157 – Maxi

I don’t have any cotton maxi dresses, so I decided to make one.  Well, it was a cotton/linen blend from Joann’s, if I remember right.

I started with Simplicity 1157.  I made the back as drafted, but it kept exposing my bra, unless I only left it open like 4 inches, which looked silly.

I grabbed the back from Simplicity 2444 and forgot to check to see if everything matched up before cutting into my fabric.  Thankfully it did.

I kept the same skirt, but spread it a few inches at the hem and pleated instead of gathering.

I added 3/4 in length to the bodice and one inch FBA.  I also scooped out the back so I wouldn’t be drowning in fabric.  I think I still am drowning in fabric.  I left the bodice a little looser than normal and it makes me look a little bigger than I am.

I also feel like I stepped out of some Jane Austen novel.  I know it’s not the same, but it’s just a whole lotta skirt.  I completely lined it because the fabric was so sheer.  I’m torn, I might leave the length, but I might just chop it to the knee.

1157 f

1157b

Tardis Dress

I was in a rush and decided to use the Elizabeth dress bodice again but change the neckline and add sleeves.  I tried to add bow sleeves. I also decided to add a side zipper instead, so I wouldn’t have to try to match the print.  The fabric was wide enough to allow me to do this with both bodice pieces next to each other, woohoo!!!!  For the first time ever, I might actually have enough to make a skirt! Bonus!

I left the bodice a little on the large side.  After a few washes it will shrink a little more.  I noticed that happened with my Star Trek dress and my Doctor Who comic dress.  I did prewash all fabrics, but they keep shrinking.  I’ve been keeping the Comic dress out of the dryer lately.

Not much else to say.  I do really like this dress quite a lot.  Of course it has pockets.

tardisdressf

tardisdressb

tardis bow
A closeup of the bow sleeve, since it isn’t really visible in the other shots.

On another note, we went on vacation to San Diego, and of course I bought way too much fabric, so, I’m planning to make 1 garment per week at least until the end of this year.  Since the weather is still nice, I will likely make dresses next. For the “Winter” I will probably fill my closet with knit dresses.  The thick textured knits I found at the swap meet.  Oh and I also bought some neoprene.  The price was a steal, I should have bought it all, all, all.  I will probably regret it someday. The below pictures are just a tiny bit of the fabric I got.  I think I can’t fit it all in one picture, even if I neatly set it on the floor.  It would probably take 5 pictures.  I blew my entire budget.

fabric purchase
Left to right, textured metallic jersey, black textured jersey, polka dot textured jersey, ITY knit, and probably what they call a scuba knit, it feels plastic-y and a little stiff.
more fabric
Another textured jersey knit, below it, a bright pink for piping.

Jacket

I started with a lot of inspiration from all over the place.  It’s ok, I’ll call it a barely wearable muslin.  It’s a bit bulky. That’s ok, I still like it.  Not in love with it, but, like it enough.  I’m a little embarrassed to wear it out of the house, but I’ll force myself.

I used the Tonic tee and cut the large as a base, and of course, added a bunch of stuff.  It’s a little large and poorly fitted, but decent.

I unfortunately ran out of buttons.  I wanted to add a button to the collar and button it up.  My son thought it was funny when I had it up.  He said I looked like a ninja.  Oh well.  The collar looks a tad sad.  I also forgot to plan to add pockets.  It probably won’t be worn very much.

The fabric is a thick navy sweatshirt knit with minimal stretch.

jacket f

jacketb